Drawer d’oeuvres

I came to the conclusion that if I want to stay on track with school, make all the scheduled appointments/activities on my calendar, and continue to run the house I cannot take on any large, time consuming, projects.  So, I have decided that in order to meet my Lenten sacrifice I’m going to have to only do a little bit every day, sometimes just a drawer or a cabinet or even smaller.  Not my original plan, but I keep telling myself steady plodding brings prosperity and slow and steady wins the race.

I have a very dear friend that I’ve known for about 18 years now.  She is very quick witted and makes me laugh all the time.  I’ve never known her to be in a bad mood, I always feel lighter after talking to her.  I saw her over the weekend and was telling her about my dilemma, how I want very much to tackle these big projects but in reality I need to do lots of mini ones like a drawer daily etc.  She replied “of course it’s like the whole meal verses hors d'oeuvres, you need to do drawer d’oeuvres”.

So, there you have it, I’m doing drawer d’oeuvres to try and meet my 40 bags in 40 days challenge.  When I open a drawer or cabinet and have a few minutes I clean it out.  I write up what I’m getting rid of as the Director is a stickler about this, you know for taxes.  Then I put everything in a plastic bag clearly marked all ready to go for the VVA and move on with my day.  My goal is one drawer or cabinet etc. per day; if I’m able to do more than one per day ,woo hoo, that much more the better.

Since I last wrote I’ve been able to clean out most of my dresser, ten drawers, the top and the two small jewelry boxes on top of it (still have a couple of things to go through and then I want to wipe the entire thing down really good and polish it).  I do almost have a full bag ready to go just from my dresser (not a great start to 40 bags in 40 days, wonder if I can gain ground in someplace really messy like the garage?).  VERY SCARY!!!  I had things like nursing bras lurking in the deepest corners of my drawers.  I haven’t nursed for at least four years.  Those I’m just throwing out, so I’ll have to keep track of trash bags too I guess. Steady plodding, steady plodding.

I hope your Lenten sacrifice is going well even if only at a snail’s pace like mine.  The goal is to draw closer to God and examine my relationship with Him right?  As long as I’m always moving closer to Him I think I’m doing well.  I heard Lysa TerKeurst on the radio today.  She spoke of Imperfect Progress , and while I could certainly relate to her discussion of “processing emotions in an unhealthy way” I felt that what she had to say about imperfect progress could be related to all areas of my life.  Even this Lenten sacrificial journey.

Here’s a song to help you with de-cluttering, especially if you’re struggling with letting things go.  I got it from Flylady; it’s to be sung from the “STUFF’S” point of view.  I love it!  Please Release Me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did Somebody say Date Night? Two "Done for You" date night plans (Quick, Easy, and Frugal)

Start Your Summer with a Fun Themed Date Night

HELP! The Water is Encircling Me, Pulling Me Down!