He Died.

{I apologize for the length of this post.  I had intended for posts on Sunday to be short and sweet and to the point about the Lord’s Day, keeping Holy the Sabbath, resting, relaxing, rejuvenating, meditating and prayer.  However, something happened yesterday that changed today’s post.}

From Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Mr. Edward Magorium: [to Molly, about dying] When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words.
[pause, walks over to Molly]
Mr. Edward Magorium: I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died."

The Organized Child’s Godfather passed away last night.  We knew it was coming, had been preparing for weeks, but somehow it didn’t make losing him any easier.  Don’t get me wrong, I am overjoyed for the Godfather; he is home in the arms of the Lord.  He is no longer suffering in this world, but I’m sad for all of us who loved him that are left behind.  My heart aches at the idea of not seeing him in this life ever again.

The Godfather was very large in stature; he was a strong, handsome, manly man with a quiet loving kindness that moved me.  He had strong opinions about morals and values and rightly so as he was a father, grandfather, great-grandfather and godfather.  You could tell that he loved and respected his wife greatly.  He had been a pilot during the Vietnam War and worked at the Space Center for many years.  He was a patriot.  He was devout in his beliefs and very active in his church.

Church is where I met the Godfather, about 17 years ago.  We passed him one morning on the way into church, Hubby, the Director said good morning.  The Godfather nodded, smiled and replied, when he did his eyes lit up, he seemed to have an overall happiness to him.  It immediately made me think “This is the day the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad.”  When I asked the Director how he knew him, the Director replied I work with him.  I was curious about this overall genuine happiness this man seemed to have.

Time went on and we continued to have a casual relationship with the Godfather and his wife.  Then I gave birth to the Organized Child.  A few days after she was born we brought her to mass.  We ran into the Godfather and he asked to hold her.  I watched the most amazing sight as this large man held my baby girl in his arms.  When I looked up at him cradling her with such gentleness and admiration I was moved.  And then I looked closer (she was so tiny and safe in his big arms) as he looked down at her I noticed that his eyes were filled with tears.  I knew right then and there that he was supposed to be her godfather.  I have never regretted making such a quick decision.

We didn’t really know the Godparents very well when we asked them to be the godparents but it turned out to be a great blessing and wonderful friendship.  God clearly had a plan.  The Godparents have been very instrumental in my own faith growth and journey with the Lord.  This has helped me to better educate my children and teach them the faith.  My children have felt that the Godparents were like another set of grandparents and they truly love and adore them.  We have been really blessed to have the Godparents and their entire family in our life.

After I got the call that the Godfather went home to be with our Lord I cried.  I told the Organized Child and then Mr. Magorium’s quote came to mind. ““He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words.  My family only experienced the last act of the Godfather’s life, but what a profound impact he had on us.  I adored and loved the Godfather!  He was a role model, someone to learn from.  I’m not sure that I am ready to turn the page and continue reading.  I’m not sure I’m ready for the next story.  What about the rest of the Organized Child’s story that he will not be apart of on this earth?  I can easily and proudly express the part of his story that we were a part of, but when it comes to “He died” I can not speak.  Two one syllable words that independent of each other bring about no real response.  Yet say them together and what power they have.  My heart hurts at the very idea that the Godfather died.  (Although we didn’t see him as often as I would like, it was comforting to know he wasn’t far away and we could always e-mail.)  I am full of grief for his wife, children and rest of his family.

Matt Maher has a song titled Christ is Risen as I was crying last night, the lyrics of this song resonated in my brain.

O death, where is your sting?
O hell, where is your victory?
O church, come stand in the light
The glory of God has defeated the night

Sing it, o death, where is your sting?

Visit http://www.xtralyrics.com

O hell, where is your victory?
O church, come stand in the light
Our God is not dead, He's alive, He's alive

Christ is risen from the dead
Trampling over death by death
Come awake, come awake
Come and rise up from the grave

Christ is risen from the dead

We are one with Him again
Come awake, come awake
Come and rise up from the grave
Rise up from the grave
                        (emphasis mine)

Reading those lyrics, listening to that song the dysphoria is lifted, I KNOW as I always have, in the depths of my soul but sometimes lose sight of, that Christ is victorious!  The Godfather is already raised to new life with Christ!  And one day we will be too!  It is that day that I look forward to.  So with Christ victorious and death defeated, through misty eyes, I can end with a simple and modest "He died."
                                    (Rest in Peace in the Glorious arms of our Lord my dear friend.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start Your Summer with a Fun Themed Date Night

Did Somebody say Date Night? Two "Done for You" date night plans (Quick, Easy, and Frugal)

Some Things Should Never be Invented, or Used!