Did Somebody say Date Night? Two "Done for You" date night plans (Quick, Easy, and Frugal)

 

My kids love a party!  Especially the Organized Child!  So, as my kiddos were growing up when a holiday showed up on the calendar, I would try to do something special at dinner time.  Over the years, we’ve celebrated Cinco de Mayo, Presidents Day, Groundhogs Day, and others; you get the idea.  Because of my predisposition to turn things into a party, date nights with my hubby aren’t really different.  One date night, I went all out for Chinese New Year.  The Organized Child made a homemade Chinese dinner.  I decorated, we played a game, made some origami and watched a movie.  (My husband feels the need for a movie almost every date night, no matter what activities I have planned.)






Recently, I’ve had several people ask me for date night ideas.  Specifically, I was asked for ideas that don’t require going out, no need for childcare, minimal preparation and can be done on little to no budget.  So, since I’m a party girl at heart and love themes, this week gave me the perfect springboard to offer two wholly planned out date nights.  (I just wish I’d thought of it a couple weeks ago so I could have provided you with pictures.)  And, remember date nights on the weekend that use themes for celebrations from the past or next week are always acceptable!

For people with kiddos

If your babies are little enough, put them to bed and start your date night after they’re in bed. If your kiddos are older, explain that you and your spouse are having a date night and consider one of the following ideas for them.

Because we were usually broke or didn’t have a sitter, I told my kids that daddy and I were having a date night because it made us a better mommy and daddy.  But, I had something special planned for them too.  Then, I would plan a fun dinner and movie night for them, either at the same time we were doing our date but in a different room or on a separate night, depending on their age.  I would make sure the dinner was something they didn’t usually have (it was their special date night meal) or was something they loved, liked pizza.  I also planned special treats that they only had on date night.  (My kids had dollar store movie candy or ice cream sundaes.)  Then they would get to watch a movie or play a video game or do something that required little supervision but was a rare, occasional activity.  Keep it simple!

Another option is to turn date night into a family night.  However, as my kids got older, they looked forward to our date nights because it gave them some freedom to do something they didn’t usually do.  Even now, The Little Guy, who is 13, asks every Friday or Saturday night, “Are you and dad having a date night?!”


Click below

StarWars Day Date Night

Cinco de Mayo Date Night

Remember

Date night is about having fun with your spouse!  Keep things simple and fun!  Things don't have to be perfect, the focus is spending time with your spouse and growing in your relationship.  Use what works for you, dump what doesn't.  JUST ENJOY EACH OTHER AND HAVE FUN!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start Your Summer with a Fun Themed Date Night

Some Things Should Never be Invented, or Used!