Simple Saturdays


Were Saturdays of the past lazy?  To be honest I’m not sure if they were, I’m sure if you lived on a farm there was lots of work and before labor laws people probably worked all the time.  Maybe in the 50’s?  I don’t know, what I do know is I would like my Saturdays to be maybe not lazier but more enjoyable.

My house always looks like a bomb has gone off in it.  One of my favorite quotes is “Cleaning the house while the children are growing is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing.” - Erma Bombeck.  I would like to get my house to a maintenance mode, so that on Saturday morning my family and I could do a Weekly Home Blessing Hour and then have the rest of the day to do projects that we really want to, or something that must be done, or just have a lazy or fun day.

If you’re like me and are working toward that goal, a simple search of the internet will bring up lots and lots of ways to declutter, deep clean and get to that point.  Here are a few of my favorites, FlyLady , Like Mother, Like Daughter (this web site has oodles of great info on everything from meal and laundry management to spring cleaning) and 40 Days to a Cleaner and More Organized Home (this is a place where you can download a daily task list posted by Maureen Wittman.)  One day I just might get to that maintenance mode and have more choices for my Saturdays.  In the mean time I’m still working on it and take it day by day.

If your Saturdays are super busy like mine here’s a simple summer meal that you might enjoy.

  • Shredded Turkey Sandwiches
  • Corn-on-the-cob
  • Simple Green Salad
  • Ice Cold Watermelon

Shredded Turkey Sandwiches
(This can feed a lot of people if need be)

  • One whole turkey or turkey breast (I usually buy extras at Thanksgiving when they are cheap and keep them in the deep freeze)
  • Onions, celery, garlic, carrots or any veggie that can add flavor (I usually clean out the fridge of any limp veggies or those on their way out.  I also clean out the freezer of past limp veggies and those on their way out that I have previously frozen in gallon bags)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Clean and cut up the turkey so that it fits into a crock pot or large kettle on the stove.  Throw in whatever veggies you have or like.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cover the whole thing with water and bring to a quick boil.  Once boiling turn down to simmer and simmer all day or longer, at least eight hours.  After cooking, drain off the broth and save.  Discard the veggies (if you’re really good and have a compost pile or chickens, like a couple of my friends, save them for that).  De-bone the turkey and shred all the meat using forks.  Pour a little of the broth over the top, just enough to moisten and then save the rest for a later recipe.  Serve up on hamburger style buns (my favorite are the fancy bakery ones) with pickle relish or barbeque sauce.

One of my favorite salads is what I call a simple green salad it’s just chopped romaine lettuce, cut up tomatoes (grape tomatoes are even easier), cut up cucumbers and sliced sweet onions (my favorite are Vidalia).  Toss it all together and serve with your favorite dressing.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start Your Summer with a Fun Themed Date Night

Did Somebody say Date Night? Two "Done for You" date night plans (Quick, Easy, and Frugal)

Some Things Should Never be Invented, or Used!