How's your lent going?

  

As I drove my daughter to school, thoughts entered my mind...oh, to be seventeen again.  Not the seventeen I was, mind you, seventeen with all the knowledge I have right now.  If I were “that seventeen,” I would rule the school and make the changes to correct all the previous life mistakes I’ve made!

 

I’ve heard it said it’s never too late to be who you want to become, and I can start each day anew.  Why am I so thick-headed and entrenched in my habits that beginning each day anew is just that, day one on the path over and over again?  I feel as if my days are ebbing away faster and faster with each minute that passes.  You would think that this might light a fire under me.  Yet, I feel like my feet are stuck in molasses, making my steps slow, sticky, and incredibly difficult, my brain in a fog.  Why isn’t my desire stronger than my bad habits?

 

It’s the tenth day of lent already!  I’ve fallen again!  My lenten goals are lofty as usual, making it challenging to keep up with in my current messy life.  What is it about planning big?  Why don’t I choose an attainable goal with REAL substance versus an over-the-top goal I know I won’t achieve?

 

If I’m honest, I think it’s because I want to be the person who does achieve over-the-top goals not just in my lenten journey with the Lord but in everything in life.  So, what’s stopping me?

 

I think this question bears pondering and prayer.  What is stopping me?  What obstacles are in my path?  What is keeping me from adding more life to my days?

 

My daughter’s principal sent out an inspiring message, something like: if you’ve fallen away from your lenten goal, it’s ok.  There is no scorekeeper; you won’t be reprimanded; begin again.  We’re getting ready for Jesus’ passion.  On His trip to Calvary, He fell three times; each time, He got up and continued.  Jesus is our guide and companion; no matter how poorly our lenten practices are going, it’s never too late to continue the journey with Him.




 

So with that in mind, I’m beginning again!  This time I’m taking three questions to prayer.

1.   What is stopping me from reaching my lofty goals?

2.   What are the obstacles in my way?

3.   What is keeping me from adding more life to my days?

And committing to only one lenten practice right now, a practice that will grow and enrich my relationship with Jesus!

 

How about you?  Do you need to reevaluate your lenten commitment?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did Somebody say Date Night? Two "Done for You" date night plans (Quick, Easy, and Frugal)

HELP! The Water is Encircling Me, Pulling Me Down!

Start Your Summer with a Fun Themed Date Night